I live in beautiful Boulder, CO with a lovable, very fat, very obnoxious cat named Zoë and a lovely roommate named Julie.
This is Julie. She’s pretty much full of the awesome.
I’ve been having a quarter-life crisis (similar to a mid-life crisis, but less fancy cars and more studying) for the last five years, and I’ll probably have it for at least the next ten. What better way to think about it than share it with you, here.
Here’s what you may or may not need to know about me.
- I’m a Colorado native. As in, I can’t live without sunshine. I love me some mountains. I love to strap on a pack and wander around desert canyons or float through some fluffy powder on my telemark skis. I’m kind of spoiled.
- I’m an English major. People ask me all the time “what I’m going to do with that,” and I honestly can’t tell you. Teach, maybe? Run off and hide away on some boat and write my magnum opus? Yeah, we’ll see where that goes…
- Maybe people are just asking the wrong question. Maybe instead they should ask, “Why are you an English major?” Whether or not I belong in an English-related career is unclear as of yet, but here’s what I do know: I go into raptures about Faulkner, I must bring up Gabriel Garcia Marquez in conversation at least every two weeks and my true mark of friendship is when I recommend The River Why by David James Duncan to you. You don’t think it’s true? Just ask my friends. My copy is currently next door at my neighbor’s house, because I heard he was a fly fisher and I immediately lent him the book.
- Not sure if this is related to the English major or not, but I love the Harry Potter books. I mean, who doesn’t? I have all seven books both in print and as audiobooks on my iPod. Sometimes I even read The Sorceror’s Stone in the bathtub. True story.
- Following after the family motto, I don’t eat to live, I live to eat. I like to cook, I love to bake, and I really love to eat. Waffles, cookies, pies, pesto, avocados, bacon, and cheese: these are some of my favorite food staples (just not all together).
- I am extremely attached to my cameras. Don’t tell, but I fondle them when no one’s looking. I have a Nikon D40x, which is a little on the old side, but I just got a new 50mm f/1.8 lens with the hope of improving some of my portrait and food photography. I don’t have a solid bag for my D40x, so my mainstay right now is a Samsung TL500, which I love taking around.
The blog made on wordpress, powered my not-so-nimble fingers, and mostly contains an unreasonable desire to share with you my life goings-on. Thank you for coming here, reading whatever nonsense I’ve got to say and saying hi every once in a while. I’m so glad you’re here.
Contact me at: irankin28 (at) gmail (dot) com or iris.rankin (at) colorado (dot) edu